Friday, January 23, 2009

Packing might be a good thing to start thinking about

ONLY 6 MORE DAYS!!!!
Have I started packing?
Nope.
Have I gotten all of my stuff together?
Nope.
Have I gotten everything done and bought, etc.?
Nope.
Bottom line - I feel REALLY prepared right now. Good job, Melissa. :)
At this point, all I can really do is laugh and know that in less than a week, I will be soaking up the sun! I finally got my departure packet from ISA, which included info about my host families in both countries. In Argentina, I'm staying with a single lady in her 50s who is the manager of a company. I will have a roommate - and get this! - my roommate is a girl who goes to CSU! How crazy is that?! There are going to be 3 people in my group who are originally from CO (including me, of course). In Peru, I'll be with a family with a Mom, Dad and a Daughter. And a different roommate.
On my flight to Houston, there's a guy in my group who's on the same flight! Apparently he's coming from Wisconsin and has a layover at DIA, and from DIA to Houston. I've been in touch with a few people from my group so far - Facebook is good for something.

But by getting ready to leave, there are definitely a few things I've learned in the past couple of days/weeks:
*NO place sells shorts in Fort Collins in the middle of January.
*International plans for cell phones have alot of restrictions and underlying stipulations. Forget that.
*CSU doesn't care if you pay an arm and a leg for your study abroad program - since I'm not a 'fee-paying' student, I can't use the student facilities for free. Fantastic.
*Certain people and places are better left behind. Good riddance.
*I have alot of amazing people in my life who I'm really going to miss.
*There are SO many things to do before I leave the country for 5 months.
*I've spent alot of money in preparing to leave - where I will be spending alot more money.
*Cleaning out closets and getting rid of stuff is very liberating.
*Picking and choosing what to take with me is more complicated than I thought it would be.
*I forgot how easily I get stressed out about stuff. Don't worry, I've been reminded.
*Everything is going to be so different when I come home - alot is going to happen in my friends and family's life in 5 months.
*This is really happening!!

So I'm just taking it one day at a time right now and slowly but surely getting things together and done. There are alot of little things to remember - and the little things are what keep adding up. I just downloaded SKYPE today so that I can talk to people through that while I'm gone, too. ...if I can figure out how to use it - and my webcam.
I've loved seeing alot of my friends in the past couple of days, and I still have a few days left to say goodbye to people.
*sigh*
There's still so much to do...
I think I'll start packing.

2 comments:

  1. Who wear's short in Fort Collins in January.

    Cell phone's suck. They are for a young sharp mind and small fingers.

    You'll get them. You will have an experience of a life time.


    Hope I'm not among those better left behind. You take with you many hearts.

    I'll miss knowing you are here. Your Mom and Dad will too. Nathanial...well he is your bro.

    Do what you can and the rest you can wing. Your young.

    Its better than spending on pants that make your late fourties butt look... Oh, Im projecting.

    Ive gotten afew things from your closet. Its not that bad.

    ITS ALL ABOUT THE JOURNEY. Let it happen.

    Our experience's in life is what we take with us and move forward. Good and Bad. Its what helps shape you for tomorrow. You can handle it.

    Kick some ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Prayers and Hugs,

    The gal with bells and whistles on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm you're gone now.... left me all alone here! I hope to hear how things are soon! Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete